Oct 31, 2012

Meat-Free

Starting this week, I will not eat meat four days a week. I haven't explained my system yet, but it's kinda fun. And I will not explain my justifications for giving up meat until another time.

In August, I finally committed to removing meat from my diet. The plan? Start off by giving up meat one day a week. Each new month: add a day of no meat. August - 1 day. September - 2 days. October - 3 days.

November represents the tipping point - the all-in month. Now, starting tomorrow, there are fewer meat days than ever before. My system started on a Friday, so I gave up Fridays first. I have not had meat for thirteen Fridays. That was pretty damn hard considering I love fish fries. But I did it.

At the same time I gave up meat, I gave up red meat. Burgers are one of my favorite things in the world. I love me some beef. But I knew this could be one of the things that broke my dedication. I am known as a burger guzzler.

I conquered burgers too. No burgers in the last two months.

January is the day of 6 days. I am dreading that month. Really, though, I have so much more to worry about. This change in diet, it's adding positives to my life by the week.

Thanks for listening.
Love,
Jonathon


9 comments:

  1. Wow, really? This post is so funny to me, because I eat meat... but only a couple times a week - mostly because I'm poor, and meat costs too many monies. Also, I'm married to a vegetarian.

    I have some really amazing vegetarian recipes if you ever need them. There are so many amazing meat-free, EASY-to-prepare meals out there, and I'm happy to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Jon! Do you feel healthier with less meat? I'm not sure I could do that, but I do try to have one fish meal a week and one nonmeat dish a week. I hear it is better for the environment too to cut down on meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel better. The biggest change is in my digestive system, which has always been temperamental. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  3. That's awesome! I think you're going to continue feeling better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would make some joke about being a meatetarian, but I think I'll try to be supportive instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I love me some meat. I LOVE it. And that's why this is such a challenge, which in turn motivates me even more.

      Delete
  5. I went to a bring-your-own-vegetarian-dish party a few weeks ago, you should hold one of those! Everyone seemed to have at least one fabtacular dish they knew. Great way to get ideas! :)

    Um. Yes. Um. I seem to be in the minority here in that I don't actually like meat so not eating it is no big deal for me. I imagine it might be like giving up CHOCOLATE though, to some, and that would be hard, yo.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

:D