Feb 13, 2013

Same Love

I've been listening to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's "Same Love" over and over and over and over and over for a few weeks. It's what I did with Frank Ocean once I realized he was singing about his attraction to another guy. I'm mesmerized by the inclusion I suddenly feel in mainstream pop culture. It's hard to believe sometimes.

The last time I remember a rapper mentioning the word 'gay' it was Eminem and I did not want to hear what he had to say. That was ten or so years ago. I think Eminem has changed as much as I have in those ten years. And from this seat, that feels like a lot of change.

Last weekend I attended a conference dedicated to gay college students. It was hosted by Michigan State University (one of the schools I am applying to). The conference was attended by just under two thousand college students, grad assistants, professors, advisors, and administrators from around the country. Most of them were from the Midwest because A) it was in Michigan this year and B) it's called The Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender ally College Conference. I got to meet Ben Cohen and Lz Granderson! Those names may not mean anything to you, but they are important to me because of the stands they take in the fight for gay rights. I also appreciate the two of them because they lead lives of integrity.

So the conference blew my mind. And this post was supposed to be the bowl into which I regurgitated my impressions. That's not happening, and I'm not about to stick a toothbrush down my throat in hopes of inducing some brain vomit.

I'll come back when I'm ready! Enjoy the rest of your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

:D