May 3, 2010

Spreading the Awesome: Why I love SHIVER (and Maggie Stiefvater)





Spreading the Awesome*:


Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1)
Shiver**


When I first saw the cover to Maggie Stiefvater's book Shiver, I thought, how endearing.  Then, I looked at the author's name and thought, how the hell do you pronounce that?  'stife vader', 'steef vatter', 'steve ate her'***, I was dumfounded, but the cover won me over and I possessively carried it home along with another based-on-the-cover pick: The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian (amazing, pick it up when you are buying Shiver.)

Once home, I flipped open the cover and immediately found myself enthralled with the blue ink on the pages.  I didn't even know they could do that!  I was impressed and jealous of the blue.  I may or may not at some point have used the word pretentious to describe the blue ink, but I rescind that stance, and know that envy does not look good one me.  Odd, since green totally does.  It matches my eyes.  Yup, but not envy.

The beginning of Shiver is unlike any book I have ever read.  You quickly sense and intense story coming on and you keep reading, totally oblivious to the pages whizzing by as you furiously whip through intent on finding out what. happens. next.

I'll be honest, there were moments that I found, um, boring, but looking back on them once   I was in the second half, I called my inner cynic a jerk and told him to talk the hand because the face was plastered to the book.

All of a sudden, just after the hundredth page, I thought to myself, why am I still reading this?  Girl likes wolfboy, wolfboy likes girl.  The Twilight similarities could be seen from a mile away, by the wrong person that is.  But me, I have watchful eyes (like Sam, read the book to find out what this reference means) and I knew they were beholding something far different than Twilight.  

Shiver became something else entirely, for me, which is a feat in its own right.  The plot itself moved beyond the normal boundaries of teen romance and gave us something profound.  I found an emotional channel for myself and the Romantic in me (I keep him at the bottom of a twenty foot pit with little food and water) was finally released when Maggie described a date scene between our teenage yet-to-be lovers.  They visit a candy store, as the weather gets cooler in Northern Minnesota (temperature being an important and intriguing element to the book), and Maggie goes beyond putting us in the story, she teaches us how to experience things the right way, the way they were meant to be felt.  She plants us right in the middle of this gourmet candy store and it is like heaven.  We are in her clutches and she doesn't let go.  Maggie melts our cynical hearts and turns everyone one of us into a groupie by forcing us to shake with frustration because Shiver's sequel, Linger, doesn't come out until July 20 of this year.

More Maggieness
I have not read Maggie's other books, Lament and Ballad, which are about fairies, or faeries, or whatever they are called.  I am probably a bad fan for not having done so, but I am saving them for after Linger.  I do manage to get my Maggie fix, through her prolific blog and her purely awesome YouTube channel, where her videos push on the edges of creativity and inspire me everyday.  And she plays the bagpipes.

* Spreading the Awesome is Elana Johnson's blog event and it is epic, clearly.
** Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) photo from goodreads.com because I know nothing about copyright laws.
*** It turns out it's 'steve otter'.

For another review on another amazing book, visit the Texas Sweetheart PJ Hoover who will introduce you to PERFECT CHEMISTRY by Simone Elkeles.

38 comments:

  1. I really liked this book too. I can't wait till Linger comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great review Jon, thanks for sharing.

    I used to live in Minnesota so I will definitely have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Maggie has been one of my biggest motivators as a writer. I loved this book so much. And her blog is not only highly entertaining but has kind of been like a guiding light for me. Yesterday's post was something I needed to hear.

    And we are the same age! How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book,too!! I'm very much looking forward to Linger!
    Fun post and now I know how to pronounce Maggie's last name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *smugly laughs* Haha. I've read Linger. :P

    Hey, I know faeries aren't your thing, but you should at least read Ballad, if not for James, who is my all time most favorite Maggie character (to-date. There may be a future character I like better. We'll see)

    Awesome book review, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonathon, I'm so sorry, but I didn't like this book. I feel like I need to confess that or something. It's weird because so many people I like like the book. I'm wondering if something is wrong with me. Anyway, Mags should be very happy to have a fan like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH HOW I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! You were such a doll when we were all signing up - Maggie should definitely make you head of her fan club! ;o)

    Wonderful review and great spotlight!

    This is so much fun!

    Visit My Kingdom Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool, Jon. I may have to reread this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I also loved the look of the book. And I felt Maggie did a lot of positive things for wolves and boys. And, right Anita, she is lucky to have the love of J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed this book while reading, but the similarities to Twilight were overwhelming for me. Though, Maggie writes a lot better!
    Though I had issues with Grace ignoring her friends for a boy, and her parents basically being neglectful, I still read it and liked it. Great review! I hope you let your sense of humor come through in your writing, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post chock full of good Maggie info. =) I, too, loved this book. I was reluctant to pick it up as it was yet another werewolf book, but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so dying to read this book. I ordered it on Amazon, but made the mistake of lumping it in with my preorder of Mockingjay. Now it won't be here until August. DUH! Anyway,thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED Shiver and am dying to read LINGER. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Shiver, Linger is awesome, and even if you don't like faeries, you should read Ballad. It is my favorite of all Maggie's books. SO GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm getting a huge lorry load of books for my birthday instead of a laptop....anyway hubby gave me his word....so this was already on my list with a hundred or so others!
    btw - my birthday is 29th June in case you want to send me a huge pressie or anything.....

    Great post Jon! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one's in my TBR pile for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't wait to read this book...moving it up on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The romantic in you, huh???? Sweet! This is definitely a good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved this book too, and have a copy of Linger. I might read it soon; let me know if you want to borrow it. Great review; I loved reading your thoughts about it. I hope you get the chance to meet Maggie someday; she's an awesome, fun author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jon, you crack me up. One of the best reviews ever. Truly entertaining. I read Shiver a while back and enjoyed it as well. I'm also looking forward to Linger (aka following Maggie obsessively). I have a signed copy of Shiver that my CP Sara McClung sent me. She's a sweetheart like that. Sara has no idea that I sleep with Shiver under my pillow every night. Shhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great review, Jon. Love that inner cynic comment. Shiver is a book I want to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome review. You definitely did Maggie's work justice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This book calls to me in stores and at the library; it's time I picked up a copy! Thanks for the great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Steve ate her! Ha ha ha ha. Oh, Jon... you are way too funny!

    You scored some great books to feature today. Shiver is sitting on my counter right now with The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Which one next? Such a dilemma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had me at blue ink. Ha! Actually, I've read Lament and Ballad and love them both. But I haven't yet read Shiver. You have convinced me to rectify that. I love the way your sort of backed into it, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved Shiver, can't wait for Linger and I just started that Sherman Alexie book that you were talking about! I studied one of his short stories this semester and grabbed that book as soon as I saw it on the shelves! Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Christine - The waiting is so hard!

    Matt - Once you get passed all the girlie stuff, I think you'll like it.

    Crystal - I see your comments and it's funny to think about how Maggie knows nothing about our friendship and critique history, yet there we are commenting in tandem. I needed yesterday's post too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kelly - Glad to be of service.

    Marisa - Did you miss the part where I said I'd read BALLAD?! :) I am waiting for LINGER though.

    Anita - Why would you feel bad for not liking SHIVER?! It's all a matter of taste no matter what. Are you able to narrow down why you didn't like it? I'll confess something too, sometimes I feel bad for not liking a book (Octavian Nothing/The Book Thief/The Shack) and I too think something is wrong with me, but if I can pinpoint the reason I didn't like the book, I convince myself that I am justified in my dislike.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Southern Princess - Oh, I could never handle the responsibility! I think Maggie does a pretty good job of it herself. Thanks for your words though.

    Heather - Reread because you didn't like it the first time?

    Tina - I am glad we share our love for this book, even if you do think it's too Twilightie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Laura - Would you rather Grace were perfect?! I know you better than that.

    Suzette - Don't you just love being surprised?

    Nichole - I am sure there is a way to remedy that. Although, the silver lining is that LINGER will be out by then and you won't have to wait forever after the last page of SHIVER.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Casey - Thanks, I am still shocked Maggie was even available.

    Solvang - Got it, BALLAD is on the list!

    Ann - Oh gosh, what shall we do for your b-day?!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Angela - Just make sure you get it to your 'READ' pile ASAP!

    Christine F - Srsly, move it right up to the top. It won't take you long to read.

    Christina Lee - Yeah...the romantic in me...there isn't much of one though.

    ReplyDelete
  34. James (Book Chic) - Jigga what?!?! You would let me borrow LINGER. Hm...I have to let that process. I also hope I get to meet Maggie. She is a darling on camera and in her words.

    Carolina - EVER?? Nah. I did not know Sara was one of your CP's. Very cool, I lover her vids. Thanks for coming over!

    Paul - I truly think you'll like SHIVER. I know you to find a perspective in things that others don't see. In SHIVER, I expect you'll find the beauty within each of Maggie's words.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Shannon Messenger- Thanks! omg

    Nicole - It is time. You'll be mad at yourself for having waited so long.

    Shannon - Let me know what you think of the other. Zombie-lit scares me, but I am being a poser since I haven't actually read any Z-lit. I trust you'll get to SHIVER eventch.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Tricia - We're in opposite dilemmas then. Maybe we should read each other's fave at the same time.

    Kristen - Alexie's book is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved SHIVER. That is all. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your plug for this book was so beautifully written, I now feel guilty for not being equally eloquent in mine. I know you can't possibly <3 Maggie more than I <3 Mary. *sigh*

    If I hadn't already been DYING to read this book, your post would have convinced me. :-D

    ReplyDelete

:D