May 30, 2010

Somewhere over the rainbow AKA Tina's The Practice Room

Yes, I just posted yesterday, but so much has happened since...

First and foremost, one of my dearest friends lost her father in a horrible accident that you only hear about in the news or overly dramatic films.  Thank you everyone who has been supportive on Facebook.  I have been stealing some of your prayers for myself.  It has been a hard weekend.  

So, I am in a highly emotional state right now because I love my friend so much and she has been going through extremely abnormal circumstances and it breaks my heart.  

But looking ahead, as hard as it is, I have decided you NEED to know about a place that has become a major catalyst in my writing career: The Practice Room.  Tina has been pouring her heart and soul into this project in between yoga, WIBIJ?!, and life.  The idea is to state a goal on Post 1.  Then, you unplug for an hour during Post 2.  Once the hour is up (there's even a nifty stopwatch!) you reconvene at Post 3 and CHAT!  Seriously, you fricken chat about the work you got done, only for the first five minutes, though.  Depending on that hours participants the subject quickly moves to riveting topics like geography, bands of the nineties, and boobies.  We even make up new words and talk of our IRL reunion one day.  The main thing about TPR is support.

Upon first glance, TPR may seem complicated, but it's actually the opposite.  Tina sets a schedule each week and if you can make it once or five times that week, it's up to you because it is about you and your goals.  You don't have to explain yourself or defend yourself, although we might give you a bit of a hard time if you only write five words because you had to spend the whole hour packing lunches or because you can't stand to drink water.  No, seriously, one of our own cannot stand water, but I won't say who because it's too funny to share.  I am cracking up right now just thinking about it, but she knows I love her.  Right, Casey?  Oops, I mean...um...Cassandra.  Yeah, Cassandra McCormickey.

So, TPR has been up and running since the beginning of April and I'll admit, I have been a bit of a poser.  I have gotten very little writing done.  And by very little I mean like under three thousand words...in two months.  It's disturbing, I know, but I have finally managed to transfer my support for my fellow TPR'rs to myself.  This week was poised to be uber productive, but my friend's loss has killed any prospect of writing, so I am taking this week off.  I will still be leaving my WIBIJ?! clues on Wednesday, will you be following them?  Well, if so: ROCK ON!  If not: check ya l8r.

Anyway, Tina, thank you so much for being a catalyst to my writing career.  Between you and Heather, I have no option but to succeed, it's already been decided.  To the rest of you: I appreciate every comment, email, critique, and chat.  You keep me going everyday.

Also, if this post is incoherent, it's because I have had a few too many glasses of wine.  If this message is still here, then, I am still asleep and haven't edited or I am hungover and don't give a -

- - - - - - -

(That's a rainbow, btw. I know, just think abstractly, okay?  Okay.)


Get it, somewhere...over the rainbow...?  Okay, I don't either...

10 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend, Jon, and you too. Life definitely throws us some curve balls sometimes. It's incredible to think how delicate it is. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post, imo. My heart goes out to you and your friend and her family!!! And you and just about everyone else in the world (ie The Practice Room, which has become my world) knows I'm a hardcore Unpluggage fan. Wahoo to the brilliance of Tina!

    And CASEY! I hate water, too!! Yay, another water-hater in the world. I am no longer alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your friend and all her friends and family. I'm sending good thoughts right now.

    As for the practice room, I think it's a fabulous idea. My life is just so screwy, though, that I've been fitting in writing at strange times, places...even resorting to paper and ink occasionally. Hopefull I'll get a practice room experience (or several) in during the summer.

    Sending you glitter and rainbows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your friend. Death of those we love is such a hard part of life to deal with.

    Glad you found a way to help with your writing. I'm like Anita. I have to squeeze the writing in. But I'm trying to do it more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jon. So sorry to hear about your friend's father. Continue to be there for her now and she'll need it later too. Hugs to you both.
    And I have to say I love The Practice Room so much. I feel that the chat at the end is my reward for writing. I do get to say what was accomplished but I love getting to know everyone better, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. J--I hope you are able to provide your friend and yourself the support you need to get through the other side, or over the rainbow. The Practice Room is amazing. How else do you get to hobnob about writing (and water and cheesecake) with some of the biggest names in the writing blogosphere? So freakin' awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your friend Jon, I've been thinking about you and her lots.

    I love this post. So inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to your friend. Sorry that she has to go through this. I am glad that she has you and you now have us all thinking about her, if that can help in some small way.

    I am so happy with The Practice Room. It is amazing that it is working for folks. I am not brilliant but I do love it and it just so clearly works for me too. Thanks for trying The Practice Room, Heather, Jon, Marisa, and Kelly, all of you above. YOU make it great. Anita and Crystal, it is going to be so fun when you make it there too!!!! And anyone else if they want...

    AND, Jon, I LOVE THAT DOOR!!!!!!!!!!

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a terrible thing to have to go through. Though what a wonderful friend you are for being there for her. It's so hard to understand these things. Big hugs to both you and your friend.

    And thank you for inviting me to my first Practice Room chat! What fun, and how lovely to meet everyone. I should look forward to returning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Carol! Thanks for coming! Thanks to Jon for getting you there. The genre categorizing was fun and challenging at such a late hour. Next time perhaps you will try the unplug time before hand too! Perhaps I will as well! I goofed off a bit yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

:D