Jul 15, 2011

Dissecting James Patterson's Latest Commercial

Have you seen James Patterson's tandem commercial for Middle School, The Worst Years of My Life and Now You See Her? If not, watch below.

If you're like me, you appreciate the genius of the idea, but are slightly creeped out. I am not sure what creeps me out...I know that I am not impressed by the generic elementary-photo-day background behind James. I am impressed by the animated character, whose name I didn't catch during the few times I have seen the commercial.

The idea of the commercial is rather brilliant and I suspect many parents will buy Middle School for their children, especially for boys, as they head out to purchase Now You See Her. I am rather judgmental when it comes to the quality of Patterson's novels (Witch and Wizard anybody?) And I think what bothers me the most is that each kidlit story Patterson has published has had so much potential, but the stories were not allowed to grow and flourish. Witch and Wizard felt contained and clinical, not developed and deep. I lament what the novel could have been and I have yet to pick up the sequel.

I will give Middle School a shot, not because of the commercial, but because I know it will be a best seller and I want to have an informed opinion on the novel. I think it's obvious what my expectations are, but as always, I am remaining open-minded.

4 comments:

  1. James Patterson hasn't written a novel in years. It's done by his fiction factory and he just slaps his name on it. Don't buy into the mass-produced factory fiction...

    Oh btw...your new header is so bright and loud it just about made me spill my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "James Patterson hasn't written a novel in years. It's done by his fiction factory and he just slaps his name on it. Don't buy into the mass-produced factory fiction..."

    Oh my gosh, is this true?

    Also, I haven't read a James Patterson with the exception of The Lake House, which I liked the concept of, but hated. So when I saw Maximum Ride, I was super stoked. I bought it, but I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Patterson's books (whether he writes them or not) get churned out so fast that they don't get the depth you're hoping for in a book. Sometimes I worry that I do the same thing with my work. I'm so excited to get it out there, I have to pay special attention that I'm giving the work the time it deserves. I'd probably have even more trouble doing that, if I expected I'd make millions as soon as the book was published. Hmmm...let me know what you think of the new P book...off to watch the commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually friends with one of the co-authors of one of Patterson's upcoming books, and it is a collaborative effort to some extent, though I don't know how much. I get a kick out of his books, they're the kind of Turn Your Brain Off and go with the ride kind of things I need every once in a while. Honestly, most of his books would be quite boring if they had any more depth to them....

    ReplyDelete

:D