Apr 25, 2011

U is for Understanding

Last summer, I debuted a smorgasbord of new blogs that I thought captured my varied interests. It turns out it is impossible to run  multiple blogs without a co-captain. The blog I miss the most is Know Diversity because I think it captured my spirit as a writer for children and teens.

In Know Diversity's short life of three months, I discussed a few books that I felt pushed diversity and tolerance - two things that are important to me. I had a guest post from my good friend Dena, who gave an in-depth review of Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison. I miss that blog, I do. But, like an idiot, I deleted the blog and its contents. Why I thought I'd still have access to the material after hitting delete is beyond me.

And so, today, I am starting work on the rekindling of Know Diversity, as a page here at Jon's Life. I need to recommit myself to personal growth and the constant will for understanding (and trust me, that is greatly needed when observing a room of thirty high school sophomores). I'll also be working on more blog banners, you guys liked the bold ones, which incidentally take the longest, so I'll have to create a balance between easy and difficult.

I won't bore you with the details of my schoolwork to-do list, but I can tell you that the semester ends in two weeks! Oh, and Operation: Inhibition Annihilation is going well*. I have a few issues while serving tables that I need to work out, like speaking more loudly and clearly, becoming more familiar with the menu, and listening for details. And I need to take away plates when guests are finished eating and before they order their free ice cream...I keep forgetting that!

* I'll post a picture of my uniform for Anita soon - I keep forgetting to have someone take one.

It's all about balance, right? Yeah, it's always about balance.

9 comments:

  1. Two more weeks of class only? That is awesome!!
    Good luck on Operation AI. It will be effortless in a few weeks!
    We'll Skype when you get a chance! My hubby fixed my son's computer with the web cam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so excited about Know Diversity and about the future uniform photo! Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting tables is difficult to get into, but once you're there it all becomes second nature.

    Good luck on the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I meant to type, I can't believe you deleted Know Diversity! But glad you will create a button here for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you are trying to find a way to bring Know Diversity to this page. Serving is one of those things that takes getting used to. I had a lot of fun when I was a server.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My god. I can barely manage one blog and one book, I have no idea how anyone handles more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Just make sure you don't try to do too much. You can easily overwhelm yourself when struggling to balance school. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. balance in carrying the plates and balance in every other aspect of our lives, that's what we crave for :)

    ReplyDelete

:D